The Department of Communication is part of the College of Arts & Sciences, which is the largest college in the university. The Department is located in Strickler Hall on Belknap Campus next to the Planetarium.
The Department graduates more students each year than any other department in the University.
- The Department was started in 1984 when Charlie Willard was hired as Chair.
- There are over 400 majors in the Department as well as more than 100 minors.
- The Department has 21 full-time faculty, fifteen of which are on tenure track lines
- Over the last six years the Department has awarded more undergraduate degrees than any other department in the university
- More students take online courses from the Department of Communication than from any other department in the university
- Over 20% of the Communication majors are African-American
- Students can earn a B.A., a B.S., or an M.A. from the Department of Communication
- Many faculty members have won teachings awards, both locally and nationally
- Faculty members produce a substantial amount of scholarship published in books, journals, and other venues.