Thursday, November 14
Panama Canal Stories (Historias del Canal)
Abner Benaim, Carolina Borrero, Luis Franco Brantley, Pinky Mon, Pituka Ortega-Heilbron.
Panama, 2014, 112 minutes
In Spanish with English Subtitles
This impressive, sweeping historical drama chronicles five incredible stories of people who helped build the famous canal and Panama itself. Spanning a century, from 1913 to 2013, the film weaves together the tales of
- Clarice, a young Jamaican laborer forced to choose between love and survival at the hands her American and British bosses during the Canal’s construction
- Jake, the son of an engineer who grows up in the ‘American zone’ in 1950s Panama but who really wants to be with his Panamanian friends
- José, a student caught up in the 1960s political unrest and his love for a pretty American girl, Lucy
- Silverio, a chauffeur for visiting U.S. politicians who is hired to spy on them by local political activists in 1977
- Clarice Jones, a jazz singer in New York City who discovers that her great-grandmother worked on the canal and decides to go to Panama to explore her roots.