Prerequisite: COMM 201 or faculty consent. Note: Approved for the Arts and Sciences upper-level requirement in written communication (WR). Study and practice of writing and reporting techniques for sports events. Students become familiar with elements of journalism and story organization
This course will provide students with an opportunity to better understand established elements of sports writing for the media. Students will work on skills needed to prepare sports stories and expand upon and exercise knowledge that may be used in a variety of communication professions. Specific goals are to:
- learn journalistic sports writing skills;
- practice sports news gathering, interviewing, and writing skills;
- exercise good sports news judgment;
- understand sports journalism rights, ethics, and responsibilities; and
- become a critical sports media consumer.
The ultimate goal is to equip students to think critically and to prepare them for a position in communication.