Prerequisite: Junior standing. Theory and practice of social influence; discusses relationships between the idea of persuasion and broader theories of communication and human behavior.
- Define persuasion and discuss the differences among information, expression, and persuasion as forms of communication.
- Discuss major theoretical perspectives and concepts associated with persuasion.
- Identify and discuss contexts of persuasion: interpersonal, public/mediated, advertising.
- Analyze, critique, and report on persuasive attempts that you observe and/or experience
- Demonstrate communication skills necessary for effective performance as a producer and consumer of persuasive communication.