Communication 275 - CD1
Study of various dimensions of communication pertaining specifically to African-Americans. Communication patterns within the African-American community, as well as communication patterns about that community, are analyzed.
- Give students an overview of theory of communication and the definition and development of African American culture and communication as a field of study
- Identify how social and cultural systems develop out of adaptation to environmental and historical circumstances
- Communicate an understanding of the ways in which, race, ethnicity, and/or gender are socially constructed
- Communicate an understanding that different cultures may hold different views of the same issues.
- Evaluate pertinent information and assertions for relevance, bias, stereotyping, manipulation, and completeness.
- Ability to integrate theory with experiential and practical ideas to communicate an understanding of concepts and how to apply them.